19 Aug 20

BMW i Andretti Motorsport retains Max Guenther for season seven

BMW i Andretti Motorsport has laid the groundwork for its next ABB FIA Formula E World Championship campaign with Max Guenther returning to drive the BMW iFE.21 for the team in 2021, whilst Alexander Sims will move to new surroundings in Formula E.

Guenther sealed victory in just his third race for the team back in Santiago, becoming the youngest race winner in Formula E history in the process. He followed up with a second trip to the top step at the nine-day six-race season finale on home soil in Berlin, on the way to ninth in the Drivers' standings - though he was in the running for second spot right up until the last round of the 2019/20 campaign.

“I am delighted to continue racing for BMW i Andretti Motorsport in Formula E, and to go in pursuit of titles with them," said the 23-year-old. "I have felt right at home from the moment I was included in the squad of BMW works drivers last year. I am very happy to remain a part of the BMW family.

"We have made it onto the podium three times in our first year together, twice as winners. In the Drivers’ Championship, we were in contention for second place until the final race. That shows how strong our package was.

"Formula E will be promoted to FIA World Championship status next season, and the first World Championship title is extra motivation for us. We will continue to work hard and do all we can to continue to make a statement and enjoy more success next year.”

BMW i Andretti Motorsport

Sims came home 13th in the points table when the final chequered flag fell in Berlin. His opening weekend in Diriyah was the highlight, with two Julius Baer Pole Positions and a maiden Formula E win in Round 2 of the Saudi double-header.

After 24 races for BMW, Sims is heading to pastures new within the Formula E paddock following a mutual agreement that he would move on at the end of season six. The Brit leaves on good terms, thankful for the BMW family's backing and support in his time with the outfit.

“I would like to thank every single member of BMW i Andretti Motorsport for their hard work and belief in me over the last two seasons of Formula E," he said. "The working relationships have turned into friendships and I value that enormously. There have been a lot of great memories made and experiences enjoyed together, notably my first pole position in New York and first race win in Diriyah.

"The BMW family brought me into the professional motorsport world and has enabled me to go on an incredible journey that I am truly thankful for. Next season I will join a new racing family in Formula E, but I look forward to seeing all my BMW friends around the paddock in the coming seasons, and wish the team all the best in the future.”

BMW Group Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt added: “I’m delighted to take on the next Formula E season with Maximilian Günther. It is incredibly valuable for the team to have a driver so focussed, professional and fast despite his young age at BMW i Andretti Motorsport.

"His two victories this season in Santiago and Berlin were real highlights. Maximilian will build on the experience gained in season six. The team and he will be even better in tune with each other. All this will hopefully lead to even more success on the racetrack.”

“As far as the departure of Alexander Sims is concerned, the key thing for me is that we go our separate ways in Formula E by mutual agreement. We had two great seasons together. Alexander has matured from a rookie to a winner at BMW i Andretti Motorsport. It was a great pleasure to watch him during his big weekend in Diriyah.

"We regret that we won’t race together next season, wish him all the best for the next chapter in his Formula E career and look forward to the sporting contest on the track.”