Nico Prost set the pace in second practice for the Hydro-Quebec Montreal ePrix, but the real story of the session was a huge crash for championship leader Sebastien Buemi that destroyed the front end of his Renault e.dams car.
Buemi clipped the wall on the entry to the chicane, which pitched him head-first into the barrier on the exit, tearing the left and right front suspension off the car and damaging the nose. Buemi was able to climb unaided from the car, but the damage to the barrier and debris strewn across the track meant the session was abandoned with five minutes remaining.
The monocoque was damaged in the impact, meaning that Renault e.dams has just five hours to get a new car ready for Buemi to use in the race…
Minutes before the crash Prost had lowered the unofficial track record, lapping in 1:22.180. This deposed Jean-Eric Vergne from the top spot, which the TECHEETAH driver had held since almost the start of the session.
It a highly-competitive outing there was almost nothing to choose between Vergne, Felix Rosenqvist, Stephane Sarrazin, Nick Heidfeld and Sam Bird, who made up the top six.
Lucas di Grassi didn’t do a 200kw lap and was back in 16th place for Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport.
The all-important qualifying session takes place next at 12pm (local time).
Free practice two times:
- Nico Prost, Renault e.dams 1:22.180
- Jean-Eric Vergne, TECHEETAH 1:22.378
- Felix Rosenqvist, Mahindra 1:22.394
- Stephane Sarrazin, TECHEETAH 1:22.395
- Nick Heidfeld, Mahindra 1:22.416
- Sam Bird, DS Virgin Racing 1:22.482
- Loic Duval, Faraday Future Dragon Racing 1:22.793
- Robin Frijns, Andretti 1:22.815
- Oliver Turvey, NextEV NIO 1:22.983
- Nelson Piquet Jr, NextEV NIO 1:23.033
- Jerome D’Ambrosio, Faraday Future Dragon Racing 1:23.080
- Maro Engel, Venturi 1:23.404
- Jose Maria Lopez, DS Virgin Racing 1:23.496
- Mitch Evans, Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:23.570
- Tom Dillmann, Venturi 1:23.604
- Lucas di Grassi, Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport 1:23.893
- Antonio Felix da Costa, Andretti 1:23.970
- Sebastien Buemi, Renault e.dams 1:24.035
- Daniel Abt, Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport 1:24.492
- Adam Carroll, Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:24.986